Venetian Walls of Bergamo

Go to content

Venetian Walls of Bergamo


The construction of a belt of bastions, commonly known as Venetian walls, 6200 meters long, which surrounded the upper city transforming it into a fortress, it was due to Venice, which completed the defensive function of Bergamo by strengthening the system adding the tower, which still exists.

Structurally the ring of the Venetian walls they were made up of 14 bastions, 2 platforms, 32 sentry boxes of which only one has survived today, 100 openings for guns, two powder magazines, 4 doors called Sant'Agostino, San Giacomo, Sant'Alessandro and San Lorenzo also known as Porta Garibaldi. Furthermore, there were many military exits and passages, some of which have been lost memory. Externally, considering the size, the bastions represent an aspect of an impregnable fortress for the city.
The Venetian walls were built starting from 1561 on the orders of the Venetian Government, as Bergamo, as a city located on the western border of the Venetian Republic, it could have been an easy prey for the neighboring states. In fact, in the mid-16th century, with the recent discovery of the Americas, the Republic Veneta was beginning its inexorable decline in the dominance of maritime trade, therefore he paid more attention to trade towards central Europe. Consequentially the Venetian Senate decided to reinforce the borders located in the psta area to the west of the republic.
In particular, the Venetian walls were built between 1 September 1561 and 1588 in the 17th century the 4 doors were used only for purposes of control and payment of the duty. The construction of the bastions had a strong economic impact with large use of capital invested giving recovery to an economy in crisis.
The defensive system of the city of Bergamo was, in the past, completed with the so-called Muraine, the fifteenth-century walls, always built at the behest of the Serenissima Venetian Republic, which descends from the hills where it is located the old city with a wide path defended the villages that had developed over the centuries along the routes that connected Bergamo to the nearby towns and cities. The Muraine were completely demolished in 1901, currently few traces of them remain such as the stretch of walls with battlements and loopholes originals in via Lapacano and the circular tower known as del Galgario.
Length and height.
As a whole, the structure of the Venetian walls, over the years they have undergone few modifications or restoration interventions, they have an equal development six kilometers and two hundred meters away, outside there was the so-called Road covered, a walkway protected by walls, used by guard patrols. The height of the walls in some places reached fifty meters, under which there were moats, to protect it.
Currently the Venetian walls are at the center of a large-scale revaluation work, in a major tourist context local development. Over the years between 1976 and 1984 the Venetian walls they have been restored, cleaned and recovered from the absence of maintenance. Three of the four entrance doors are passed through daily by a large quantity of cars, as the San Giacomo gate is pedestrian only, Furthermore, Porta Sant'Agostino is the entrance due to its direct accessibility from the city center main for the Upper Town of Bergamo.
Related topics -     john kennedy airport   malpensa airport   Orio al Serio airport
All Rights Reserved -  is not responsible of the content for the reviewed sites -  Copyright © 2022 - 2023

Back to content